Thursday, September 9, 2010

Come in! Take off your shoes! Have a drink!

"Earth's crammed with heaven, and every common brush afire with God, and only he who sees takes off his shoes, the rest sit round and pluck blackberries." ~ Elizabeth Barrett Browning (1806-1861)


"The earth is the Lord's and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it." ~ Psalm 24:1 (NIV)


Sometimes, I think it's good to give ourselves some credit. Oh, where to begin?!

One time in a small class, we were asked to draw a picture of what we believed our armor of God to look like. There were several pictures of big combat boots produced, one person even drew a fancy pair of red high heels ('cause she & I kinda march to the beat of our own crazy drummer...), but what I drew was a pair of fuzzy, purple slippers. You'd think, why in the world would someone consider fuzzy slippers to be a part of the armor of God?! How could those protect you & help you carry the Word to others?!

Well, in our household, we have a custom of taking our shoes off at the door. When we leave the house, we put our shoes on at the door before we head out. Shoes on outside. Shoes off inside. It is quite different from the typical American way I was raised. But I think it serves a deeper purpose other than cleanliness. To me, it's comforting. When I'm home, my shoes are off and I am relaxed and safe. This is home. This is where you pad around in your bare feet, your socks, or even those fuzzy slippers. The soils and germs and stains of the day cannot make it past the door. They are not permitted. And if a friend were to knock on my door at any given moment, they'd likely find me in slippers. I would invite them in to my desperately imperfect dwelling, invite them to take off their shoes too (or not sometimes, I don't get bent outta shape over this ritual because people are more important than things like this), and I'd offer them a drink, cold water or tea or coffee or whatever, and suddenly, the cluttered kitchen table, or the sofa half buried in folded laundry becomes an altar of sorts where the sacrifice of love is offered up. Time, talents and treasures are shared and the greatest commandment to "love one another" is manifesting itself right there. Right on the spot....right in fuzzy slippers. Right in the armor. Rejoicing with those who rejoice. Mourning with those who mourn. Whatever it may be that day. And on the spot, something holy happens. Something set apart for God.

If the Scripture above is true, and I believe it is, that the whole earth is the Lord's and everything and everyone in it, then our greatest life's work often happens in slippers. Or in the car. Or on the sidewalk. Or in a store. Or on the phone. Or at a computer. It happens in church, yes. It happens in special events, yes. It happens at podiums, in classrooms, on TV, in books, all the time. And then it also happens when you're brushing your teeth! Because hey, right there you are being a good steward of what God gave ya, AND you are caring about others by having nice breath! How 'bout that?! That's just a silly example, but you get the point.

I may be a bit of a rebel here but I just gotta say that it absolutely drives me NUTS when people talk about "putting God first" in their lives. Let me explain. It's a perfectly wonderful standard, thought, and attitude to put God first. Even Jesus said, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God". Existing in this world without doing that, I believe, would be a very frustrating thing to attempt. I have built my life on this principle. I just worry about some of us, myself included, that sometimes feel like we're not doing it enough. How much of "putting God first" is enough???? An hour? A day? All week? This is what I call "The List". If we examine our relationships in a linear sense, ie, God first, Family second, Friends third, etc....at what point do we move to the second, third, fourth, etc. item on the list?? How much of God is "enough"?

Some have offered a different illustration: They picture God as a center of the wheel of their lives that everything else spokes out from (spokes? is that even a word?). The image of balance and connectivity is clear. All the facets of life are dependent on a sure foundation in God. I wonder though, what happens when you get to the end of the spoke? And what about the tire itself? And the air that fills it? How do you get anywhere on that wheel? Or do you just sit around and gaze lovingly at the center & call it good?

I offer in addition to these lovely attempts of the List and the Wheel my own interpretation: Champagne! Or soda! Or sparkling water! (Again, can you see me in my slippers offering you a beverage?) Picture one of these carbonated refreshments in a lovely crystal champagne flute. See the bubbles originating at the bottom of the glass, forming and releasing and floating up to the surface of your drink. See how some bubbles cling to the sides and how they pop up randomly and permeate through the whole drink. Feel them tickle your nose as you take a sip. Or even make your eyes water if you are really thirsty and take a big gulp! The drink just wouldn't be the same without the bubbles, it'd almost be a disappointment. You'd dump it out and say, "It's flat." And that is how I see my life in the Lord. Carbonated. Absolutely bubbly. Celebratory. Hospitality-laden. Permeated by Him. Not obligated. Not required. Not guilt-driven. But Him. Bubbling up. Bubbling forth. Filling every aspect of life a little at a time. I see Him in conversations. I feel him in physical work. In running errands. In silently praying for a stranger. In faces. In books. In nature. In science. Put Him first?! How can one possibly put someone as BIG as The LORD GOD first?! I'm not even sure we're fully capable of understanding how that works! For He permeates every single thing we do and every single thing we are! Like bubbles in apple cider. We'd be flat without Him.


A funny thing just happened. My husband just stopped by during his work day for a quick moment. He had on his feet, his work boots, and in his hand, a cup of coffee. He offered to share his coffee with me...and with a smile and a wink, offered to take off his boots and stay awhile too. (I blush!) I can't help but giggle because as I sit here writing about shoes and drinks, with my socks on and a cup of ice water at hand... in walks another "bubble of God", offering me coffee & warm "hospitality".

May you find as you look around today that the whole earth is afire with God. That it ALL belongs to Him. That it's ALL Holy. And may you offer a cup of cold water to someone. It does a world of good.

Be refreshed today!

Blessings,
Kiki


1 comment:

  1. Oh, wow...I love the bubbles analogy....gifted, gifted, you are!

    ReplyDelete