Monday, January 24, 2011

Birds of a Feather Flock Together

Crows! Everywhere! Noisy, obnoxious and greedy. I'm a bird lover, a bird watcher, but there are just some birds that I take for granted I guess. We tend to appreciate the rare and "beautiful" birds, but discount the value of the common species that surround us every day. I never much appreciated crows until we "met" one special bird.

I take the kids to school and park in the same spot each day when I drop them off. We usually get there with a minute or two to wait in the car before it's time to head out into the cold air for the walk to class. As we sit and chat about the weather or what they're doing in school that day, the kids and I have noticed the birds in the area. Some seagulls, and always the crows. I'd heard once that crows are very socially bonded birds, living in family groups. If you see a group of crows, chances are they are relatives. And I know from bird behavior that if a group of birds are engaged in eating or drinking or bathing, you'll generally see one member of the flock perched up high in a look-out position, ready to give the warning cry in case of a predator's approach. So the kids and I have been sitting in the car, watching this crew of crows scavenging the area in front of the school each day, cleaning up all various morsels that have been left behind. We have had a front row seat to their morning breakfasts. One day, I spotted this certain bird who seemed to have something wrong with him. His right foot was all balled up, curled over and he hopped along using it in a sort of way, but never fully laying it down like his other foot. He could fly just fine. He even perched well on the fence or the telephone wire. His family looked out for him, and he returned the favor in the look out position from time to time. He seemed to have no trouble at all eating or doing all the other birdly duties his family did.

I wondered what his story was. How he got to be that way and how he managed to so successfully function and survive. We spot him all the time now and it's reassuring to know he's okay and still out there doing whatever it is that crows do. He's become special to us because we can recognize him by that foot. Otherwise, he would've been just another annoying crow. I root for him now and am inspired by his success. As they say, he's not "disabled", he is "differently abled".

"The earth is the Lord's, and everything in it, the world, and all who live in it..."
Psalm 24:1 (NIV)

As I think about that special crow, I am reminded in my heart about people that I know. People who have something obviously different about them. And then I think, gee, we all have SOMETHING different. Some weakness, some character flaw, some physical issue, some story behind the "why".

Everybody has something.

And I'm trying to keep that in mind when I encounter others.

And we're all special. Special to our Creator who recognizes us. Each one. Individually. Out of the whole flock. He sees us. He knows how we "got that way". He knows how we're doing. How we're getting along. How we're using what He gave us. And how His beauty is made perfect in our weaknesses. I take great comfort in that.

I don't quite understand why we have our "limps". If God is so good, why do bad things happen? But I am fully able to admit my limits and to trust in the goodness of God who loves me. And when I see my fellow bird-brains with their own issues, I will do my best to serve in the look-out position, functioning like a family should. Covering the most vulnerable amongst us.

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows."
Matthew 10:29-31 (NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment